Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Consumer Complaint about Bluegreen Corp

I feel like a sucker, but in the hopes of sparing someone, anyone, here is the letter I sent to Bluegreen Corp (and I sent a similar one to Bass Pro who promoted the sales event).

On Saturday November 14, 2009, I attended a Bluegreen sales presentation at The Falls Village in Branson, MO. I am writing today to let you know I am very disappointed in the experience, and to let you know that your reputation has been severely damaged for me. I also want you to know that I have written Bass Pro to let them know that it is harming its reputation by associating itself with the behavior I experienced at a Bluegreen sales presentation.

Prior to the sales presentation, my experience with Bluegreen was actually very positive. The phone operators were professional, courteous and helpful. Check-in at The Falls Village was also quickly managed and professionally handled. The accommodations provided by Bluegreen were also satisfactory. I was even interested in the Bluegreen product, as my family takes regular vacations.

The sales presentation and one-on-one sales experience, however, were unprofessional and offensive. I am sure you are no stranger to the "time" complaint, so I'll not bother to explain in detail how the sales experience was 3 hours instead of the promised "approximately 90-120 minutes." It seems elementary to me that Bluegreen would be far better off being truthful about the time commitment. My wife and I had arranged for childcare based on a 2-hour presentation, not 3 hours. Starting off a sales event with low credibility is a very poor way to begin. Better yet, Bluegreen could reduce the time spent in group presentation.

The group presentation that I attended in Branson included racist jokes from the group presenter (I think his name was Kevin), who also expounded for a full 5 minutes or longer that the problem with today's kids is that "they are not whipped enough." Unnecessary, incorrect and terribly unprofessional.

I save the worst for last, however, in that the one-on-one sales presentation was even more unprofessional and a ridiculous attempt to intimidate and even insult me and my wife. It was someone named Jerry Miller and I signed a formal complaint with the local Bluegreen manager about his behavior.

Frankly, I do not expect my concerns will change your sales model, but I write anyway in the hopes that someone may be spared my experience.

Now I have gift cards for Bass Pro merchandise and I can honestly tell you it was not worth it and I have no appetite to give Bluegreen or Bass Pro any business, not even for free with these cards and certainly not my hard-earned money in the future. I am very disappointed in Bluegreen's behavior and in Bass Pro for aligning itself with these tactics.

UPDATE After posting this and within a couple hours of emailing Bluegreen, I got a call from Bluegreen headquarters in FL. The woman apologized and asked for details. She apologized for everything from the time to the specific behavior. She promised follow-up with the Branson people involved and gave me her contact information. Impressive response.

4 comments:

LaurieJo said...

I really am sorry that you guys had such a terrible experience. I'm really glad you let those who could do something about it at least have a chance to regain some credibility. Who knows how it will resolve.

I know you and Casey don't have tons of time to be wasting with rude and unprofessional people - hate that it happened to you.

Erick said...

It is shocking that someone would resort to insults and unprofessional behavior to make a sale.

I would also make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and while you are at it, file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. High pressure sales tactics such as this are frowned upon, and who knows but what you may find some person at one of these entities who will take up your cause.

The time issue is one that I do not understand. I've been to one of these in my life, and I think that will likely be the only one.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for writing the letter.

JayEnEff said...

I went to a timeshare pitch in Branson once to get a free night's hotel stay. Very long. It was Marriott, though, so offensive it was not. The whole high-pressure seminar approach just seems slimy any way you look at it, though. To help, DVD, I could dispose of those gift cards for you. : )

DVD said...

UPDATE After posting this and within a couple hours of emailing Bluegreen, I got a call from Bluegreen headquarters in FL. The woman apologized and asked for details. She apologized for everything from the time to the specific behavior. She promised follow-up with the Branson people involved and gave me her contact information. Impressive response.