Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It's the Stuff

I've been out of pocket this week, so I want to take this chance to pass along an excellent video called The Story of Stuff. In their words:

The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

There is some hyperbole in the video, but I encourage you to consider the entire message. It's a little long but it's worth viewing even if just for the down-to-earth explanation of Externalized Costs and revealing look at "the Golden Arrow of Consumption."
www.storyofstuff.com

2 comments:

David said...

Hyperbole, is somewhat of an under statement. She's pretty out-there with some of her stuff, but her overall message, as you stated is well-meaning.
Here is a link to a good review of her video that is almost a must-read if you've watched this video. Much like the guy who wrote this review, I freaked out when I saw her computer stuff. And since I knew more about the computer part, it made me wonder how much of her other stuff was even close to accurate.

http://www.andybrain.com/qna/2007/12/07/annie-leonards-the-story-of-stuff-review-and-analysis/

DVD said...

Congratulations, I think you may be the only reader who watched the whole 20 minutes. I appreciate the close review you linked. The guy seems reasonable, which is a good thing since he also makes mistakes in his review.

Overall, in my opinion, The Story of Stuff is far more beneficial than it is harmful. The story brings light onto the System, and the human and environmental costs, that creates the cheap things I buy.