Thursday, January 8, 2009

We Eat And Drink While Tomorrow They Die

While I concern myself with the new simplifications I'm trying, while I enjoy the comfort and safety of my home, while I play games with my boys ...

An Israeli mother drops to the ground, protecting her boys from a terrorist rocket with her arm... her arm. Look how well trained the boys are, their faces against the bricks, their hands perfectly placed in protection.



While I entertain myself with a football game tonight, while I feel inconvenienced by the weather or my sinuses, while I say goodnight to my boys with the room and night light arranged to get rid of every scary shadow...

A Palestinian boy flees his home from the "righteous" rockets and waits in a strange place bewildered and afraid. Look at his feet on the stone. Imagine the bulk of his sweater and the heft of his body as you give him the hug he clearly needs.


I'll get along tonight because somewhere in the activity of my evening the images will fade. The tears won't be pressing behind my eyes. The goodness of life will again have my attention. But those boys are still out there. At least I hope so...

4 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Effective or not, I just prayed for them. Did I do it to remove the guilt that I feel for not being in danger like they are? I hope not, but I can't say it with certainty. I do know that my tears subsided when I shared my thoughts with God.

DVD said...

Feelings just "are" and guilt is not wrong, but my intent is not to guilt myself or anyone else. I think I am (1) looking for perspective and (2) making sure I'm working on my balance. The balance of sharing with radical generosity and living in the moment with joy. I cannot make the world a safe place, but am I making it a safer place? How much safer, when do I stop - those are the balance questions. How many children died of starvation or disease because I haven't sold this computer and sent the money to aid agencies?

A really smart guy who struggles with this balance talked about it recently in view of Jesus' example. If you had an extra 38 minutes to listen, it's here:

http://media.whchurch.org/2008/2008-12-14_Boyd_Christmas-Guilt.mp3

Here's his conclusion:

Everything Jesus did — including his celebrating — manifests the Kingdom. What Jesus’ superfluous miracle, frequent partying and acceptance of expensive worship reveal is that life under the reign of God isn’t just about ministry and work: it includes celebrating. Yes we’re to live self-sacrificial, radically generous lives. But life as God intended it includes celebrating weddings, drinking wine, going to parties and engaging in extravagant worship. These aren’t “breaks” from Kingdom living: they’re important aspects of Kingdom living!

Unknown said...

I feel very sad when I see those pictures, the uneasiness of the mother, the complete aloneness of the small boy. I won’t comment on the political situation but the human toll of political desire raises it’s ugly head again. A great and timely blog! My overall thought from the coverage coming out of Gaza is “RESIST!” I reject the occupation. I reject the concept on both sides that any one hill is more holy than another. I feel pity for those kids born into a land that is war torn and scary. I know full well, but the grace of nature so go I.

Unknown said...

Clarification:
But for the grace of nature so go I.