Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Singing This Song Makes Me Dance

A new song I've been enjoying lately is "Let it Rock" by Kevin Rudolf and Lil Wayne. A fun song that combines synthesizer and guitars into driving rhythm, but keeps its hip-hop essence. Not really Rap Rock but could be called Pop Rock Rap. Here's a 70-second (radio-edit) clip:



I also have a new artist I've been enjoying. I've been listening to him for about 6 months, and this week heard him on the radio for the first time. I can't claim credit, though, Pandora introduced us. Pandora: like a Match.com for music fans. With a new album that's getting more support, you may soon hear of Brett Dennen. Here's a sample of his music I first heard about 6 months ago. From the album "So Much More" a clip of the song "The One Who Loves You the Most"



Brett's new album "Hope for the Hopeless" continues his mellow groove but the first single "Make You Crazy" adds an Afro-Beat with great effect, in my opinion. Groovy and upbeat, with culturally progressive lyrics:



Not bad for a red-headed white guy. I hope you enjoy him. His website streams several of his songs.

One more music note, there's no way I can talk about music this month without mentioning that the greatest rock band of all time released a new song. U2's first new song in 5 years was leaked last week so the band released the song on their website. The song and album cover art are HERE. I hope you have Bose speakers for your computer, because the steady beat is very Vertigo. For guys almost 50, they can still rock. I'll have much more to say when the album drops; till then I sit agog and get on my sexy boots...

5 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Great choices, DVD. I have the new single from U2 and am enjoying it immensely. I have a hard time adjusting to a slightly new sound from my favs, but I can appreciate the new use of an old beat. So far, so good.

I still haven't fully explored Brett Dennen. The sound is very mellow, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it. My off-the-beaten-path artist has been Sondre Lerche, but he is becoming more on the path these days. He did all the soundtrack for Dan in Real Life. It was the best part about the movie.

"lil Wayne" always fun.

JayEnEff said...

I was posting as "Anonymous," but now I created an account. From now on I should show up as "JayEnEff," but I have yet to be successful doing that. Hopefully it will work this time.

Anyway, Brett Dennen has a song called "Ain't No Reason" from a 2006 album called "So Much More." It's been a favorite of mine. Dylan-esque. Stinging and poetic and beautiful. If you take DVD's tip on Dennen, I recommend this earlier album also.

DVD said...

Thanks, EffEnJay, I mean JayEnEff!

Right on about Dennen's music, nice description. The song you mention has a great line in it, "Slavery stitched into the fabric of my clothes." A pithy encapsulation of an issue I haven't written about in quite awhile:

http://dvdinterrobang.blogspot.com/2008/01/day-will-come-in-this-dawning-age-when.html

fan for a season said...

While your at it...check out this video of John Legend's version of "Pride (In the Name of Love)"

http://www.johnlegend.com/us/videos

DVD said...

Thanks, JP! I am verklempt...

Who today fills Dr. King's role? I think of the worst social injustice I know of, I identify that issue in my mind, and I think, "Would I face jail, beatings, danger to my family - my DEATH in an effort to right the wrong?" Where is today's John Lewis?

Is it that there is no single unifying issue? Or are we simply complacent?