Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Favorite Artists of 2008

My favorite artist of 2008, for the 21st year in a row, is U2. But that’s a blog, or a book, in itself. My attempt here is to discuss a few musicians from 2008.

Music Artist of 2008

My pick for Music Artist of 2008 is Katy Perry. Katy released her first album in June 2008, and has already scored 3 huge hits from that album. Prior to 2008 she published some songs on MySpace and got one of those songs on the soundtrack for “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.” So to go from that to a Billboard Top Ten album in the first week of release is a serious “blast” into music.

To sell a lot of albums off of one hit is obviously quite an accomplishment. “Ur So Gay” was a nice hit for her(Madonna apparently called it one of her favorites this year). A song best described as “either horribly homophobic, a sly piece of social commentary or, possibly, both.” I just hear a savvy, sarcastic girl fed up with her emo boyfriend.
You don’t eat meat
And drive electrical cars
You’re so indie rock it’s almost an art

It was much more impressive, however, when Katy followed that with her smash hit from the same album “I Kissed a Girl.” Provocative, indeed, maybe even homophobic in the sense of frat boy lipstick lesbian fantasies, but an irresistible beat, strong hook and alluring lyrics that couldn’t be ignored.



A very strong debut and perhaps enough to qualify as one of the most influential artists of 2008. But Katy’s status in 2008 was cemented, in my opinion, by her third hit within months: “Hot N Cold.”



Comeback Artist of 2008

Britney Spears. Admit it, after the head shaving incident, the loss of the custody of her kids, attacking the paparazzi with her umbrella, and an involuntary psych commitment, you never expected to see her anywhere but “Celebrity Rehab” or TMZ. So it’s quite a comeback for Britney to score a number 1 hit in October with “Womanizer” (her first number 1 since “Baby One More Time”).



All this talk of pop music, you’d think it was what I listened to most. I listen most to music that might be called “acoustic rock” from artists like John Mayer, Matt Nathanson or Jason Mraz. Or rock from artists like Kings of Leon, Coldplay or The Killers.

Artist I listened to the Most in 2008

Thanks to Pandora.com, Amos Lee is the artist I listened to most (outside of U2, of course). I find Amos a steady performer that produces consistently authentic music. Just thumb through the playlist on his MySpace page and you’ll hear the sound I’ve heard most this year.

Country Artist of 2008

Darius Rucker. You may know him as Hootie, but this is no joke. Darius Rucker has a 2008 Top Ten country hit, the first black artist since Charlie Pride in 1983 - “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It.” It’s as bad as you think.



Next up: Albums of 2008

9 comments:

Brian said...

In addition to many of those listed (Mraz, Nathanson), here are a couple of my favs for 2008:

27 Jennifers - Mike Doughty
This one is a straight pop/rock song with a hook that sticks in my head for about a day each time I hear the song.

Old Enough - The Raconteurs
I'd missed the boat on these guys the last couple years, but loved the 2008 album, and particularly this single.

But my favorite song of the year necessitates outing myself as an American Idol fanboy:

Billie Jean - David Cook
This was my favorite performance of the year, American Idol or otherwise. I'm a sucker for covers done well (as well as a big-time Michael Jackson fan from my elementary school days) -- this was well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_aiawC-9aM

Erick said...

I saw Darius perform at the Macy's TDay Parade (on TV not in person). It was great. I always loved Hootie and the Blowfish.

I am intrigued by the storm with which Taylor Swift has taken country music. I actually like most of her songs as they are catchy and teenage angsty (it should be noted that I like Avril Lavigne).

I really like the Killers new song Human though. But then I love the Killers so

Erick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DVD said...

"27 Jennifers" - nice pick. That song has the added bonus of me repeatedly singing a phrase I have no idea what it means.

I have an anti-American Idol bias ever since Ruben Studdard stole the election from Clay Aiken. I've never watched the show again. But last night I saw David Cook at Rockefeller Center sing "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" and I was won over. Great song, good treatment.

DVD said...

As for country, you're right, Taylor Swift deserves serious mention as Country Artist of 2008. I don't listen to "modern" country so Darius was my tongue-in-cheek pick. The fact that his song went #1 in country in 2008 says it all, in my opinion.

Erick said...

By the way, when I said great, I didn't mean the song, just the fact that Hootie was signing country music was amusing.

DVD said...

Don't think I don't think you don't think Hootie is great.

Erick said...

Hootie yes, Darius Rucker as a country singer no.

Erick said...

by the way I thought about doing the whole "don't think I don't think blah blah blah" but decided against doing so. I don't have enough time to keep up with that