Sunday, October 26, 2008

I Heart Chase

I love Tiger football. There are not many places in this world I'd rather be than the bleachers of Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium on a crisp fall Saturday. The cares of the world are gone, and for 3 hours my mind and soul are free and focused. I like watching the Tigers on TV, but there is no comparison to the packed, cheering crowds, the cannon, the rock M, or the diamonds in the end zone. No matter the opponent or the record, I get chills when the players rush out of the tunnel and onto the field. And at every kick-off, I believe the Tigers will win this game.

The last several years, we've been fortunate enough to win more and more of those games. Along the way, the Tigers have managed to gather some rather stunning talent. But there is sometimes that player that grabs not only the record book, but also my heart. That player who fills my chest with gratitude and admiration every time they step out onto my home field.

It started with Corby Jones. A player of grit and leadership who played through some terrible personal circumstances and helped revive a struggling program. But then came Brad Smith. He shattered school and NCAA records and played with a physical ability that was sheer grace. Certainly the greatest football runner I've ever witnessed. His form gliding down Faurot Field is forever etched in my mind.

On Saturday, I was at Faurot Field for Homecoming. And it was the last time I will watch Chase Daniel and Chase Coffman play on my home field. I get one more game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, but this was a monumental occasion for us (me and the Chases). Our last time together at Faurot Field. Chase Coffman, who my friends and I have called Tight End Jesus since his freshman year, delivered the miracles we've come to expect. Yes, he caught that and, yes, he's going over that guy's head.





Of all the Tigers I've loved, though, Chase Daniel is my biggest crush. Not the pure talent of Brad Smith, not the pounding frame or blue-collar player of Corby Jones, but systematically knocking down school records with the same assured calm he has spreading the ball across 5 or more receivers on the field. A commander, a cheerleader, a fighter, a football dispensing machine.

I was there on Homecoming of 2005 when a true freshman Chase Daniel came into the game when Brad Smith went down. The Tigers were down 24-14 and facing third-and-10 at their 25 with just under nine minutes left. Chase captained 2 scoring drives in those final minutes and then won the game in over time. It was the sign of what was to come. In Chase's 3 years as starting quarterback, Missouri has reached heights not seen for many many years. These have been halcyon days in Tiger Nation. With Chase, the chubby, happy face coexists with the laser throw on 3rd and 11 in the biggest Tiger football game in 40 years. The bouncy step coexists with the cool reflection of reading the defense as if he were in their huddle.





You have honored Faurot Field with your play, Chase. Thank you for being a Tiger. I love you, man. The next time I walk into the stadium, you will not be on the field, and there will be a piece of my football heart missing. I need a moment, dear reader, I am verklepmt...

5 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Wow! Great tribute to some great players, and I heart Chase too.

Anna Casey said...

Oh, Geez, I can't believe I got teary over that... Nicely written, I feel like I can have some closure now. Maybe we should try to make it to K-State?

Unknown said...

Mr Interrobang,
I too love me some Tiger football. The memory of that homecoming comeback will be w/ me forever. I think that it is funny how passionate Tiger fans are. I know everytime that I am in the p-lot I am part of a giant, black and gold family. I am much farther away now, I don't sit on my hill every weekend, cooking, drinking, cheering and jeering, but I still get goosebumps everytime the Tigers take the field. I spend 6 days a week trying to get to the game on the 7th. I have only had success once so far this year, but it is my full time occupation.
Well, now I am gushing like a moonstruck lover.
One last thing....every one of those players that you mentioned and hundreds that you didn't should each have a cat named after them.
Okay, I will be done after this....one of my favorite parts of tiger football is sharing it w/ my boys. Right now they both love Truman, Jacob loves Chase D, and I sing the Alma Mater to put them to sleep.

M-I-Z!!!!

Erick said...

Z-O-U

Sophia is already in love with her Tigers and loves finishing the chant you started. Someday we will teach her the other endings.

She has just recently found "True Man" as she calls him, and he is her focus. She may be attending her first ever Tiger game on 11/8. I'm very excited.

I love Tiger Football, Faurot Field, the Rock M, and the rabid Missouri fans.

The Casady Clan said...

So, are you just skipping the last home game this year? What kind of fan are you? J/K

We had a blast in the freezing cold at Arrowhead last year and it was such a great win! Down with the Jayhawks again this year.

I heart Chase, too!