Friday, August 8, 2008

See the World in Green and Blue




“One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFK

Any good boycott should be about change: First me, then the wrong. I am choosing to boycott the 2008 summer Olympics. My boycott includes refusing to watch any Olympic TV coverage, read any Olympic online or print coverage and be prepared to answer “why?” if asked. Every time I exert perceivable effort to implement my boycott, I want to remember why I am doing this.

The evidence is irrefutable that China is the largest country in the world that systematically and violently oppresses independent thought, individual freedoms and (even worse) freely exports the tools of oppression and terror. You can likely find examples of each of these transgressions from every other country in the world. But you will not find any country that is as sweeping and methodical as China in its blatant disregard for its people, the world population and the environment.

I believe that activities such as diplomacy and trade can still be carried on with a country such as China, because such utilitarian efforts can be done at arms length and create leverage to benefit the Chinese people and may eventually undermine the oppressive government. But hosting the Olympics should be reserved for world members who have real efforts and processes for basic human rights. There is a difference between doing business with a guy and spending your holiday weekend with him.

Any argument that the Olympics will in fact push open the doors to China is easily rebutted by China’s run of behavior right up to the Olympics of outright lies, selfish environmental decisions and tyrannical destruction of any perceived protesters.

Right or wrong, I find it impractical to protest every act of oppression and impossible to try to right every wrong. But this seems like an obvious opportunity to me to evaluate how I live what I say I value and maybe make a small difference. Now that you read this, you at least thought about it, eh?

6 comments:

Erick said...

Was that a shot at the Canadians at the end?

Very well stated, and for all the grief I've given you on this, I think it is a good step for one person to take.

The key to your boycott is not the act of boycotting itself, but the readiness to describe and tell "why" when asked. At the very least you will get people thinking eh?

Erick said...

also, isn't the next line "see China right in front of you" in that song? Kind of fitting.

LaurieJo said...

That's funny. I always thought it was "See it turning right in front of you." This way definitely works better for your blog.

Thanks for your post DVD. Honestly, hosting the Olympics may turn out to be the worst thing that China could possibly do. Until now, I have been aware of the human rights violations in China only to a degree, and because I'm unable to think of constructive ways to help, I ignore it. I'm not proud, but it's true. However, now they are bringing their own horrible practices and realities to the forefront of the world and making their citizens lives worse in the process! So I feel I can no longer ignore it, but what do I do when the Olympics are over? How do I make a difference? Boycotting Made in China seems both impossible and counterproductive, right? Or is that just my excuse?

Ugh. The struggle. Anyway, I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one who is facing this problem head-on for the first time. So maybe this act of "diplomacy" will be the catalyst for change!

DVD said...

We can discuss "Made In China" another time. I made a quick distinction above, but it deserves further unpacking. For now, I simply want no part of celebrating China or adding to the statistics if possible.

The boycott will hurt should Ben Askren win a medal...

fan for a season said...

Since we're piling on China...

I decided to boycott the Olympics after reading an article in the magazine Fast Company about how China is raping the country of Africa for all of it's resources without any concern for the people in Africa.

It's not a perfect article but I found it very interesting and it made me angry with China and Africa both, and it did not make me any prouder to be an American.

Here's a link to the table of contents of the issue the article was in for those interested. FYI, it is the longest article FAST COMPANY has ever printed.

SPECIAL REPORT: CHINA IN AFRICA
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/126


I need to be honest and tell you that I didn't do a very good job on my boycott. I don't care about the Olympics that much to begin with, but I spent a lot of time around people who were watching the games and I became torn between my feelings about the country and the accomplishments of the athletes. I tried to celebrate the accomplishments of the athletes and not the country.

DVD said...

Thanks for sharing the Fast Company article and please pass along other good info like that. I actually read that article several weeks ago. It does a great job explaining a big part of what I meant by China’s “blatant disregard” for the world population and environment. But that aspect creates a pretty compelling case for action beyond just the Olympics, and I’m still working on that.

Your boycott of the Olympics is just about you, so it sounds like you’re accomplishing something even if it’s not perfect. For my part, I have not seen any events or news at all, and honestly I don’t even miss it.