Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Love Can Rock

Love can be as quiet as a 2 a.m. nursing of a newborn. As calm and casual as a hand resting on someone's leg. Love is in the last whisper before sleep... or death...

But,

Sometimes,

Love rocks.

Sometimes, Love roars with the chest-rumbling thunder and blinding light of a 254-ton rocket ship.



Sometimes, Love does not take a back seat, leaves no room for modesty, and stands up to be heard. This is a rare phenomenon, for sure. 70,000 people gathered with a common purpose doesn't guarantee it. A space ship doesn't guarantee it. We need someone leading the way, calling us forward.

Love's most passionate and compelling advocates are not pink-skinned cherubs, they are the weathered and worn faces of the prophets. The robust energy of young love dims in the fire of a plea for Love and Grace by the battle-scarred soul. No one rocks Love like one who has fought for Love till their knuckles bled.



From the first blast of Breathe, U2 was that force, calling us into the street, daring us, then begging us, to drop gravity and join them, reminding us why Love needs us, painting Love in LED, convincing us how powerful we can be...

Right now, let's go, let's lock arms and march out to advance Love. We won't walk far and there is a little boy cowering in fear in his closet. Another block and there's a young mother working her second job today. Look across the street and there is a man laying on the bench who has lost all sense of his indescribable worth, he hasn't had a hug in years, he hasn't even had eye contact with another person for days.

We can do it, feel Love's power and energy, we can change the world! Together. If I don't know what to say, you're here. If you start to feel foolish, I'm here. We get to carry each other. Sure we might get hurt, no we can't reach them all before we fall, and fall we will, but someone's hungry, someone's hurt, someone's angry, someone's dying. And tell me
How long, how long must we sing this song?
How long, how long?
'Cos tonight
We can be as one, tonight.

5 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Damn. This is beautiful. I have some scars. I'll join you in Love's march any day, any time, any place. How about now?

Anna Casey said...

Damn! Thanks for the rally call, for the beautiful synopsis of the concert, for finding the bottom line of the intended communication. Very moving, and motivating.

Seriously, beautiful words.

Bill Todd said...

and now a new person enters the march - Henri.

JayEnEff said...

I don't know, DVD. I'm gonna have to borrow a term from literary critics and call this post's prose "purple." Over the top. Looking forward to your next topical/analytical post.

DVD said...

I appreciate the honesty, JnF. I've been occupied lately, as my next post indicates, but I will get back to political/cultural/religious analysis soon.

I stand by my U2 post, though. I understand not everyone will "feel" it, and that's fine, but it was an honest portrait. My recent experience with the fragility of life only strengthens my resolve in this area. It's about f*cking time we got a little "over the top" about love and grace. Just my opinion :)