Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Courage to Walk Out Into the Street

"In retrospect, all revolutions seem inevitable. Beforehand, all revolutions seem impossible." Michael McFaul

I am drawn to the Iran election protests. By drawn, I mean I feel a magnetic pull radiating from my solar plexus toward the men and women demonstrating bravery and independence in the face of violence and death. I see the massive crowd walking in quiet defiance, and I want to be there. I see the peaceful response to violence, and I am in awe. I see videos of beatings, and I want to offer protection. I hear the haunting shouts of Allah-u-Akbar from darkened rooftops in Tehran, and I get chills. I see a video of the moment of a young woman's death, shot to death by militia trying to stop the protesters, and I beat my chest in sorrow. I can't link it, it's too awful, but you can find it if you try. Her name was Neda.

Why are my emotions so strong for my Iranian brothers and sisters? Is it because for the first time in history the revolution is actually being "televised"? Because I can read and see and hear the struggles within minutes of it happening? Before I went about my day this morning, I watched a newly uploaded video of the streets of Tehran. Knowing that this is literally happening during my day, and I can easily see it, how can that NOT affect my day? According to someone who says they were with Neda when she was killed, she was shot about 9:30 a.m. my time. I saw it about 3 p.m. the same day.

Is it because the people look like me? It's certainly a more "Western" side of Iranian culture than we usually get to see. The young woman dying on the street looks like someone I saw at the store yesterday. The young man getting clubbed looks like me. The disillusioned revolutionary running down the street looks like my good friend. The pervasive presence and use of technology looks like me and my friends.

Is it because my soul is awake to its purpose and is inherently drawn to the suffering of my human family? Is it because my deep-seated pride immediately rebels against the boot of dictatorship?

I say yes to all, and more reasons I can't even describe yet.

So now what? I feel helpless. I am helpless. The revolution still feels impossible, and even if successful the result is an unknown. But enough has happened already to warrant real emotion, and I agonize for an action. If all this does is make me more grateful for my insanely peaceful and easy life, that seems like I would have wasted an opportunity. It doesn't seem enough that I simply gripe less, and be a kinder and more peaceful person. Am I stuck with the feeble Butterfly Effect of my choice to live nonviolently? These questions are not just rhetorical, they beg for an answer, even if that answer is not a satisfyingly-definable action. Please, offer your thoughts.

I'll keep working toward an answer, but for now, my feeble peace and love are better than nothing. Today, my brothers and sisters, I am Iranian too. Allah-u-Akbar!

4 comments:

LaurieJo said...

Our Iranian counterparts - young, professional, technological and relational people - are locked in an epic struggle for their freedom. I have never done this for myself. It has always been mine.

When I think about what I can DO for them, I can only think of what I would want were the roles reversed. Of course, I can never know for certain what I would do. However, I think I would want the following: a shout of encouragement, an understanding nod. I would want those in a far place who felt my pain to be my spokesperson to my detractors to whom I couldn't speak. I think you are doing what I would need of you.

Beyond that, only time will tell what else will be asked of us, if anything.

Unknown said...

I too, am stirred to the core by what plays out on my computer screen and cell phone. I feel inexorably linked to those in the streets and shout with joy as the protestors do when they win a street back. To me the most important thing of is the flow of information to and from the torn city streets. I am using a rarely used computer as a tor relay to allow my embattled brother's and sister's to continue to share their story with the world. It is a small gesture, carries little risk but makes me feel that my little corner of missouri can effect a change in a far off land.
I hope the people are able shrug off tyranny in the peaceful non-violent way they have shown thus far. I wish I could stand in their streets and shout to their god, "Allah-u-Akbar!" But I believe it is they who are great! Marg Bar dictator!

Persian Sharky said...

Thank you DVD for being a voice of encouragement and support to the people of Iran. Watching the videos of tazahorat has brought back a lot of memories for me. I grieved back in 1979 that I could not be home so I could celebrate Shah's fall with my countrymen. Now, 30 years later, as an older man, in a place that I call home, I am grieving one more time that I cannot share my freedom with my old countrymen. At times, I feel alone for feeling sympathetic to Iranian people. After all, people of that part of the world are portrayed as uneducated and fanatic that don't desire freedom and democracy. We don't know what will happen with this uprising. However, I do believe that another revolution started. And that is American public saw Iranian people as normal people desiring basic rights like here that we tend to take for granted. It gives me a joy to see American people's support. I stand by you my fellow countryman Anarchist, and shout Marg Bar Dictator!

DVD said...

I am honored by your comment. I wish my words of encouragement and support could do more, but I am hopeful with you that a lasting impact from this attempt at revolution can be an improved American (and others in the world) understanding of our Iranian family. And our Muslim family. And our Chinese, our North Korean, our Iraqi...