Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Slumdog Millionaire"

Some time last year I read this interesting article on the slums of Mumbai, India. A fascinating read because of the paradox of the vibrant yet destitute nature of the slum's subculture. The recent movie "Slumdog Millionaire" captures that paradox. The movie has gathered considerable attention and mega award nominations. In my opinion, the movie earns the praise by delivering an original-feeling, creatively-told story of the ancient struggle of the human spirit against the human condition.

The creative centerpiece of the film is a unique story-telling device centered on Jamal Malik playing the Indian version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," but the heart is the story of unconditional love. The movie manages to show an unblinking portrait of life in the slum and yet retain the humanity of its characters, for better and worse. I found it a truly remarkable movie weaving together elements of classic tales (an unwavering hero and unconditional love) with modern tales (a conflicted antagonist, brushes of religion, geopolitical reality) with necessary movie elements (memorable acting, excellent cinematography and editing, not to mention a great soundtrack).

I'm probably drawn to it because at its essence it is the story of grace: the unrelenting pursuit of someone and never doubting the infinite value of that person.

It's hard to predict Oscars, but I'll say Song and Screenplay for sure.

1 comment:

fan for a season said...

I didn't know a whole lot about this movie before I saw, but it lived up to the hype it has received since I've seen it.

I thought it was a really well done movie that left a bittersweet feeling. I've heard some people call it a "feel-good" movie but I can't go there. I saw to much reality in the film to make me feel good.

I loved the cinematography and I bought the soundtrack-so that should tell you what I think of it.