Friday, May 30, 2008

Gridlock Update

Just a quick update on my local alternative transportation efforts. After the first bus debacle, the next week I was certain I had it figured out. I walked to my corner on time but the bus sped past me without stopping. I was a few feet from the curb and gave the driver the benefit of the doubt that he didn't expect me so didn't see me.

So the next morning I was waiting there again. This time the bus drove on a parallel road, not my road! I stomped back to my house (again) and called Columbia Transportation on my way (yes, I had the number). I was directed to the dispatcher. The dispatcher explained that the 7:25 and 8:05 101 North buses do not go on my road because of traffic. First of all, that is not printed anywhere on any maps or schedules. Second, traffic on my road is ONLY an issue when Mizzou is in full session and it wasn't on that day! I watched the bus sit at the parallel road's intersection for at least as long as he would have waited on my road.

That day I had a good conversation with the Transportation Supervisor. He assured me the bus would return to regular routes the following Monday.

It has, and for the last 2 weeks I have finally enjoyed trouble-free rides on the bus. I have found it more beneficial to me to sit quietly rather than use my iPod or read. I enjoy a peaceful 20-25 minutes twice a day when I ride. The bus ridership is a community. I enjoy learning about their community, but have not been included. I believe they think I suffered a DWI and I will quit riding as soon as my drivers license is returned.

It has rained a lot the last few weeks, but I have managed to ride my bike to work one day a week as well.

No comments: